Time listed as AEDT
Module 4.1: Research Ethics – human and animal
Research Ethics - human and animal covers ethical principles in research, the Australian and New Zealand regulatory frameworks and guidelines including the requirements of AHEC, the National Statement on Ethical Conduct in Human Research, the Australian Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes.
The module also covers the Harmonisation of Multi-centre Ethical Review, gene technology regulations and the role of ethics administrators and other stakeholders in supporting these Codes.
Participants will learn why research requires ethical frameworks as well as understanding the key historical events that have shaped development of such frameworks.
The module is presented in three distinct sections: Human Ethics, Animal Ethics and Gene Technology and Radiation Safety.
Key learning outcomes
After completing this module, research administrators should be able to:
- Understand why we need a human and animal ethics and safety frameworks;
- Understand key events in history which have led to the development of ethical principles, regulatory documents and guidelines;
- Understand key ethical principles;
- Understand how to apply ethical principles in study design;
- Understand where to apply ethical principles in ethics applications;
- Understand the different roles within ethics and safety frameworks;
- Understand regulatory environments for ethics and safety; and
- Be introduced to standard operating practices.
Who should attend?
This module is suitable for those who are new to the research management profession, those who have specialised in one area of research management and wish to broaden their knowledge and/or those who are experienced research managers but wish to refresh their knowledge in a specific topic area.
Research managers and administrators from all organisations and institutions will benefit from this module including those from:
- Research agencies and institutes;
- Medical research institutes;
- Research and development corporations;
- Research centres;
- Government departments;
- Funding bodies;
- Industrial research and development teams;
- Service providers;
- Commercialisation bodies; and
This is an elective module for individuals completing the ARMS Foundation Level Accreditation Program in all regions. Each module can also be taken as a stand-alone unit for professional development purposes.
Location: Zoom Meeting
ARMS Member: $380 AUD (Price will be discounted in the Shopping Cart)
Non-Member: $480 AUD
Members: Please login to your account and then continue your registration below.
Non-Members: Please sign into your free webfriend account or continue your registration.
Event Purchase Notification:
- This email will be sent 4 weeks prior to the delivery date of the module.
- It will contain the Zoom meeting link for the virtual meeting, the Zoom meeting ID and the passcode for the virtual meeting.
- It will contain a link to the Body of Knowledge (BoK) and any other relevant study materials.
We strongly recommend you test your ability to connect to Zoom prior to the first session.
If you have any questions, please contact the ARMS Executive Office firstname.lastname@example.org or +61 8 8201 5592.
ARMS CANCELLATION POLICY
Should your circumstances change, and you are unable to attend this workshop, you must contact the email@example.com by no later than 10 working days prior to the commencement of the scheduled event. ARMS will refund the full registration fee minus any administrative fees.
Should you cancel less than 10 working days prior to the commencement of this workshop, no refund will be payable but instead you may wish to send a proxy.
ARMS reserve the right to cancel, postpone or re-schedule courses and events due to minimum numbers not being reached or for other unforeseen circumstances. In the event of a cancellation, ARMS will aim to advise all participants in writing five (5) days prior to the scheduled event and will refund the full registration fee including administrative charges within 30 days after notification.