Module 1.1 - Sing: The National Research and Innovation System in Singapore
The National Research and Innovation System in Singapore covers the role of government, business and higher education in the national research and innovation system. This module also covers funding mechanisms, codes and current issues. The module examines research and innovation policy settings in Singapore and looks at Singapore’s performance in international standings. It also looks at the key stakeholders in Singapore’s research and innovation system, including the main funding agencies and briefly at ethics and integrity codes and the role of research managers in expediting research.
Key learning outcomes
- After completing this module, research administrators should:
- Be familiar with Singapore’s Research, Innovation and Enterprise 2025 (RIE2025) plan, where to find it, and the RIE hierarchy it establishes for Singapore R&D;
- Be able to identify several agencies that support R&D in Singapore;
- Understand government expenditure on research in Singapore and where to find the specific guidelines;
- Understand the proportion of GDP that Singapore invests in R&D, and the economic pressures of Singapore’s economy that drive R&D spending;
- Be able to compare R&D expenditure and manpower in Singapore to that in other OECD countries;
- Have a general understanding of the breadth and range of support provided to the research enterprise;
- Be able to provide advice to researchers that allows them to consider key stakeholder perspectives when seeking and managing research funding;
- Describe how the various parts of the Singaporean research and innovation system contribute to meeting the costs of research.;
- Describe the schemes to fund private sector research and support commercialisation in Singapore; and
- Describe the agencies and grants that fund public sector research in Singapore.
Who should attend?
This module is suitable for those who are new to the research management profession, those who have specialised in one area of research management and wish to broaden their knowledge and/or those who are experienced research managers but wish to refresh their knowledge in a specific topic area.
Research managers and administrators from all organisations and institutions will benefit from this module including those from:
- Research agencies and institutes;
- Medical research institutes;
- Research and development corporations;
- Research centres;
- Government departments;
- Funding bodies;
- Industrial research and development teams;
- Service providers;
- Commercialisation bodies; and
In addition, those from countries other than Singapore wishing to gain a general understanding of Singapore’s National Research System will find this module useful.
This is a compulsory module for individuals completing the ARMS Foundation Level Accreditation Program in Singapore. Each module can also be taken as a stand-alone unit for professional development purposes.
Program Materials, Access and Assessment:
- This Foundation Level Accreditation Program (FLAP) Module is supplied in an online format, unless otherwise stated in the course description.
- The content of the FLAP online Module materials, including copyright and all other intellectual property rights contained therein, remain the property of ARMS.
- You may not reproduce any part of the FLAP online Module material without the prior written consent of ARMS.
- Online FLAP Module material is provided via the Moodle online Learning Management System (LMS). For reasons out of our control, the e-Learning site may on occasion be unavailable. In the unlikely event that the system becomes unavailable, ARMS will use every measure to ensure that the FLAP Module materials are provided to Registrants in an alternative manner.
- All quiz assessments for this FLAP Module must also be completed online via Moodle.
ARMS Member: $380 AUD - Price will be discounted in the Shopping Cart.
Non-Member: $480 AUD
Please note that the online registration platform accepts credit card payment only. If you require a tax invoice for payment please contact the ARMS Accreditaion Program Administrator ARMSAccreditation@researchmanagement.org.au
Members: Please log into your account and then continue your registration below.
Non-Members: Please sign into your free web friend account or continue your registration.
Time: You will have 2 weeks to complete this module once you have started the LMS module in Moodle. The two (2) week time period commences when you start the module in Moodle and not when you register for the module.
How to start the module in Moodle: Once registered and paid for, the module link will appear in your ARMS portal under Online Courses. Click on the module listing under Enrolled Courses to be directed to Moodle. If your course has not been paid for, please contact Dana Watts, ARMS Accreditation Program Administrator, ARMSAccreditation@researchmanagement.org.au to discuss an alternative access option.
ARMS CANCELLATION POLICY
ARMS complies with Australian Consumer Law in regard to refunds. We ask that you carefully select this FLAP Module before submitting a Registration as the Registration is non-cancellable and the Registration Fee is non-refundable.
We understand that under extenuating circumstances, there may be reasons why the Registrant is unable to complete the registered FLAP Module. Where evidence can be successfully provided to support the Registrant’s circumstances, consideration may be given to transfer the Registration to another eligible ARMS member. Such requests must be made in writing to the ARMS Accreditation Program Administrator, email ARMSAccreditation@researchmanagement.org.au
If you are experiencing difficulty completing the FLAP module by the enrolment expiry date, a free course extension may be available. Such requests for further extension must be made in writing to the ARMS Accreditation Program Administrator, ARMSAccreditation@researchmanagement.org.au
Confidentiality and Privacy.
If you have any questions, please contact the ARMS Accreditation Program Administrator ARMSAccreditation@researchmanagement.org.au or +61 8 8201 5592.