Module 3.3: Higher Degree by Research Candidature Management
The purpose of this module is to provide an insight into the current and evolving practices around the management of Higher Degree by Research (HDR) candidates and candidature, including the understanding of:
- The basic principles and purpose underlying HDR candidature management;
- The internal and external reporting requirements associated with HDR candidature; and
- The risks associated with HDR candidature and appropriate mitigation, management, and reporting of such risks.
Key learning outcomes
By the end of this module research administrators should be able to demonstrate familiarity with the following:
- Understanding the role of candidature management in HDR education and university research;
- Effectively managing and reporting HDR milestones and candidature variations; and
- Effectively managing internal and external reporting requirements in regard to HDR candidature.
Who should attend?
This module is suitable for senior research administrators, academics, research managers and Associate Deans wishing to update their knowledge in this area. It would also be suitable for junior research administrators wishing to progress their career.
Research managers and administrators from all organisations and institutions will benefit from this module including those from:
- Research agencies and institutes;
- Medical research institutes;
- Research and development corporations;
- Research centres;
- Government departments;
- Funding bodies;
- Industrial research and development teams;
- Service providers;
- Commercialisation bodies; and
It is recommended that this module be taken in conjunction with Module 3.1: Higher degree by Research Scholarships and Module 3.2: Higher degree by Research International Partnerships, and Module 3.4: Higher degree by Research Admissions and Completions.
This is an elective module for individuals completing the ARMS Foundation Level Accreditation Program in all regions. Each module can also be taken as a stand-alone unit for professional development purposes.