Module 1.2-Sing: Legislation as it Affects Research in Singapore
The Legislation as it affects research in Singapore module is designed to give a basic understanding of the Singaporean legal system, legislative frameworks, and specific legislation related to research in Singapore, in order to assist research managers to be aware of legal issues that may arise in performing their duties.
It covers the most common legislative frameworks affecting research in Singapore. The module covers the essential elements that a research manager needs to know about legislation as well as the types of legislation, jurisdictional issues, understanding legislation and the legal status of research institutions. It also covers general legislative obligations in research as well as research specific and project specific legislation. Case studies and group work during the presentation enable participants to discuss their own legislative issues in research management.
This Module is not designed to make research administrators legal experts; but to enable research administrators to take a proactive role in assessing research project proposals and to be involved in the design of research projects in light of applicable legislative obligations.
Key learning outcomes
After completing this module, research administrators should be able to:
- Describe how legislation and legistlative3 frameworks operate;
- Describe the most common legislative frameworks affecting research in Singapore;
- Formulate appropriate questions to ask about a project;
- Proactively review project proposal and identify possible legislative compliance issues and risks;
- Identify when legal advice is required and the process for doing so; and
- Identify which legislative requirements require on-going monitoring and management.
Who should attend?
This module is suitable for those who are new to the research management profession, those who have specialised in one area of research management and wish to broaden their knowledge and/or those who are experienced research managers but wish to refresh their knowledge in a specific topic area.
Research managers and administrators from all organisations and institutions will benefit from this module including those from:
- Research agencies and institutes;
- Medical research institutes;
- Research and development corporations;
- Research centres;
- Government departments;
- Funding bodies;
- Industrial research and development teams;
- Service providers;
- Commercialisation bodies; and
This is a compulsory module for individuals completing the ARMS Foundation Level Accreditation Program in Singapore. Each module can also be taken as a stand-alone unit for professional development purposes.