Continuing Professional Development (CPD) helps ARMS members to:
- Maintain relevant knowledge;
- Develop and implement research management practices in their workplaces;
- Develop their career; and
- Be an example or mentor to other research management professionals in their workplace.
Accredited members must complete a minimum of 60 hours of CPD over each three year period following accreditation in accordance with the following guidelines:
Types Of CPD
CPD activities may comprise the following elements:
- Formal postgraduate study and other tertiary courses relevant to research administration and/or management and not undertaken as part of a degree course;
- Conference attendance, workshops, seminars and other similar activities delivered or facilitated by recognised practitioners in the field of research management, including ARMS events;
- Learning activities in the workplace which enhance research management knowledge or skills;
- Service to ARMS, sister societies or other similar bodies up to a maximum of 30 hours over a three year period;
- Preparation and/or presentation of courses, talks and other material at research management workshops and conferences;
- Secondment appointments up to a maximum of 30 hours over a three year period; and
- Any other structured activities not covered by the above but which satisfy the objectives of these Guidelines.
- Activities undertaken as part of the applicant’s normal role would not usually be considered as continuing professional education; and
- Programs and courses which are not directly related to research management, but which build an individual’s personal knowledge and skills may also be considered (up to a max of 10 hours over a three year period). These may include cultural awareness programs, mental health, first aid programs etc.
Special dispensation may be provided for those unable to complete this requirement (see section on career break provision). Please consult the ARMS Executive Office for further advice on your individual case.
Individuals or organisations may make a case at any time for inclusion of any specific event, course or workplace activity to be added to this Register. All claims must be logged using the ARMS member's portal.
Accredited members wishing to claim hours of CPD may do so via the ARMS member's portal. Note that the maximum claim for any conference relevant to the profession will be 8 hours and any other event relevant to the profession will be 7 hours per day.
Members can obtain a listing of all approved CPD claims via the member's portal.
The CPD working party shall be the final arbiter in decisions on the applicability of events/activities for CPD. The CPD working party meets quarterly in February, May, August and November to review CPD claims.
Career Break Provision
Members who are required to take a career break (sickness, child-birth, transfer etc) will be entitled to deduct the period of career interruption in their requirement to complete 60 hours CPD in each three year period.